Crowns & Onlays Downpatrick
Crowns and onlays are tooth-shaped ceramic tops, sometimes referred to as “caps”. These are constructed to re-establish the tooth’s original shape and bite [in case of severely broken/decayed or very heavily filled teeth] and to protect weakened teeth [for instance, root filled or cracked teeth]. Other reasons can include the coverage of misshapen or severely discoloured teeth to improve appearance.
Crowns can be made of several materials but nowadays, due to the high cosmetic demand for natural looking teeth, ceramic/porcelain crowns have become very popular.
WHY WOULD I NEED A DENTAL CROWN?
When assessing a patient’s need for a dental crown the dentists here at Inspired Dental Care will determine whether any of the following factors have occurred:
- A tooth is severely broken.
- A tooth is excessively worn and has weakened the enamel structure.
- A root canal treatment has been performed and a crown is required to protect the tooth.
- To improve a tooth’s cosmetic appearance.
If we have recommended a dental crown to you, we will explain the process in greater detail and be able to answer any questions that you may have.
WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF A OF DENTAL CROWN?
- A well made dental crown is strong and has the same look and feel as a natural tooth.
- They can be shape and colour matched to your teeth.
- When looked after properly they can last for many years.
HOW SHOULD I LOOK AFTER MY DENTAL CROWNS?
A well made dental crown can last for many years providing that the teeth and gums are professionally maintained by your dentist and a good oral health routine is maintained at home.
- Keep your teeth and gums healthy by brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and daily inter-dental flossing.
- Reduce the frequency of your intake of sugary and acidic foods/drinks to prevent tooth decay from occurring.
- Regularly visiting your dentist for oral health examinations and your hygienist for professional teeth cleaning.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS MADE OF?
There are many materials that can be used to construct dental crowns such as Porcelain, Resin, Gold, Porcelain fused to metal and Glass ceramic.
At Mullan Gallagher Dental Care we are able to provide any of the above but most commonly used are Emax crowns due to the predictable and high quality results achieved.
Emax crowns are made from a ceramic material that boasts toughness, durability and is particularly renowned for its opaque aesthetic qualities that ensure your new crown blends in naturally with the rest of your teeth.